Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Rainbow Double Gradient "Reciprocal" Nails

For the next January Nail Art Challenge post, I bring you: Rainbow Reciprocal Gradient Nails!! I originally saw SimpleLittlePleasures' video on YouTube showing how to do a two-toned reciprocal gradient (which I believe SHE had gotten the inspiration from someone else to do). But the second I saw that gradients were one of the prompts for Californails' challenge, attempting this with rainbow colors was something I was secretly dying to do ever since I saw the video (probably a over a year ago)! This was, in theory a relatively easy concept and SimpleLittlePleasures did a wonderful job of demonstrating how easily this effect can be achieved. However, when putting this concept into practice, I found it to be much less smooth than her video suggested. I'm not sure if this was because of the wide range of colors that I used or what but for some reason the process was slightly more frustrating than I had anticipated. 

As with any multicolored gradient I started with a base of white so the neon colors would pop a bit more. Then I went over it with a make up sponge with LA Colors' Brites Collection (unnamed polishes from a set I got at Ross) in rainbow order starting with pink near the cuticle area ending with purple closest to the free edge. Here's a picture of the polishes since they don't have names:



Once I had gone over these two to three times, I laid down striping tape. Three pieces per nail. Then I went back over with a make up sponge full of white until it was semi-opaque (so as to cover up the darker blue and purple shades. Once that was dry I went over it with the LA Colors in rainbow order, but this time I did it with the purple at the cuticle area and pink near the free edge (AKA I turned the sponge around). Once I botched a few by not turning the sponge around and reapplied the process all over again, I ended up with a super funky, getting looks all over town, rainbow design that would make Lady Gaga herself pass out! Oh? and I topped off the whole thing with Seche Vite top coat!



Hope you guys like it! This is definitely one of my all time favorites and I plan on wearing this to every Gay Pride event I ever attend! Stay tuned for more! Feel free to find me on:

Twitter: @NailsByKalee
Tumblr: NailAbuse.tumblr.com
Instagram: @NailsByKalee
My Blog: OnceUponAManicure.blogspot.com
Facebook: Facebook.com/OnceUponAManicure

No comments:

Post a Comment